Starting September 2018
Please call 540.383.0438 with questions.
See below for more details and to apply and send deposit.
(Deposit is due with application and will be returned if not accepted into program.)
Understand yoga more deeply. Live your life more fully.
Become a Yoga Teacher!
Yoga can change lives. Maybe you’ve experienced yoga’s profound effect. Want to deepen your knowledge, and enhance your practice? Maybe even want to share your experience? The Center’s teaching training program offers you the chance to grow, build your courage, and develop the skills to teach yoga safely, skillfully, passionately and with confidence. Our Yoga Alliance certified yoga teacher training program meets and exceeds the 200-hour minimum requirements to certify you as a creative and skilled yoga teacher. How deeply satisfying.
And, The Center’s program goes deep. It’s an approved alignment-based and heart-centered training that will equip you with the skills, knowledge and abilities to follow your heart whether you eventually want to teach Vinyasa, Gentle/Restorative, Special Populations, Meditation, or Alignment-based yoga. The Center’s rich teacher training includes history, philosophy, teaching methods, anatomy, and Sanskrit studies. You will graduate as a Registered Yoga Teacher 200 with a deeper appreciation for the art and science of this ancient practice and feel more vital, capable, and connected. Even if becoming a Yoga teacher is not your path, this program will be an investment in YOU and can open doors to new ways of living and exploring your life with health and vitality. Lots of Yoga enthusiasts enjoy these types of trainings as time to enhance physical, mental, and spiritual growth, all in a safe and supportive environment.
Warning: You may fall in love with life again and make friendships for a lifetime.
Article: Top 5 Reasons to Become a Yoga Teacher
This Program is For You If:
- You aspire to teach yoga
- You are a yoga teaching and want to take time to be a student again and develop your skills and freshen up your teachings
- You are a current yoga student who simply loves yoga and want to deepen your understanding and steep yourself in the practice
- You want to tap into your own authentic voice as a teacher but also create social change, one pose and one breath at a time.
Here’s What You’ll Learn:
- To teach yoga safely, with inspiration, and clarity
- To set the tone and environment for leading a transformative class
- To cultivate courage and authenticity as you teach
- The basic elements for teaching beginners, special populations, and restorative yoga
- Solid understanding of basic pranayama, Sanskrit, history, philosophy, and meditation, so that you may weave these subtler aspects of the practice into your teachings
- To skillfully construct a multi-level class and give modifications
- The anatomy of movement of the basic actions of the body, biomechanics, and some therapeutic assists for students with certain more common injuries
- How to empower your students
Program Prerequisites and Requirements:
- At least 12 months of taking regular yoga classes
- A home practice
- Be committed to studying, learning, and developing the skills necessary to teach yoga
- Full attendance at each of the YTT weekends
- Participate in at least 2 public yoga classes per week (Classes at The Center will be 50% off.)
- Cultivate a home practice
- Complete all homework, assignments, and exams, and final project
- Complete required observation hours, assisting hours, practicums, and community class teaching
- Bringing Yoga to Life by Donna Farhi
- Eastern Body, Western Mind by Anodea Judith
- Prakrati by Robert Svoboda
- Relax & Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times by Judith Hanson Lasater
- The Heart of Yoga by T. K V. Desikachar
- Hatha Yoga Pradipika by Swami Muktibodhananda
- The Science of Breath by Swami Rama
- Yoga Sequencing by Mark Stephens
- The Miracle of Mindfulness by Thich Nhat Hanh
- Back Care Basics by Mary Pullig Schatz
- Yoga Anatomy by Leslie Kaminoff
- The Anatomy Coloring Book
YTT Reading List
Required Reading: (Not all ahead of time! We will read them and refer to them as we go along.)
- Light on Yoga by BKS Iyengar
- The Key Muscles of Hatha Yoga by Ray Long
- The Bhagavad Gita translation by Stephen Mitchell
- Hatha Yoga Illustrated by Martin Kirk
- Teaching Yoga by Mark Stephens
- Yoga Sutras of Patanjali translation by Alistair Shearer
- Meditation for the Love of It by Sally Kempton
- The Breathing Book by Donna Farhi
Students will choose a project to complete their training. More details will be given, but it may include:
- Community Service Project
- Research Paper
- In-Depth Study with summary
Dates and Hours
note: some dates could change
- September 7-9
- October 5-7
- November 9-11
- December 7-9
- January 4-6
- February 8-10
- March 8-10 or 15-17
- April 12-14
- May 10-12
Total: 18 hours per weekend = 162 hours + 20 additional contact hours including time with lead trainer = 180 minimum contact hours. Students need an additional 20 non-contact hours, but most will spend more than 250+ hours on training.
- $2,950 (included in total cost)
- Early Bird 1: Save $300 Pay in full ($2,650) by June 30 (members only $2,385)
- Early Bird 2: Save $150 Pay in full ($2,800) by August 15 (members only $2,520)
- Member Discount 10%
- Deposit $295 (Non-refundable) due with application to hold your spot
- Monthly credit card payment plan available (no member discounts $305/month.) $90 service charge is added to tuition ($3,040 total.)
- $305 due by September 15
- $305 due October 20
- $305 due November 17
- $305 due December 15
- $305 due January 19
- $305 due February 16
- $305 due March 16
- $305 due April 20
- $305 due May 11
All applications/registrations require the $295 non-refundable deposit which will also hold our spot in the training. Deposit is due with application. (This will be returned if application not accepted.) Only in the case of medical emergency or similar inability to continue in the program will refunds be considered. Your signature and deposit indicate that you are committed to the program and that you understand these terms.
The cost doesn’t include books, lodging, or meals.
Print out a Brochure Here: CY-teacher-flyer-final